Original San Antonio Chili
- 2 pounds beef shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound pork shoulder, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup suet
- 1/4 cup pork fat
- 3 medium-size onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart water
- 4 ancho chiles
- 1 serrano chile
- 6 dried red chiles
- 1 tablespoon comino seeds, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- Salt to taste
- Place lightly floured beef and pork cubes in with suet and pork fat in heavy chili pot and cook quickly, stirring often.
- Add onions and garlic and cook until they are tender and limp.
- Add water to mixture and simmer slowly while preparing chiles.
- Remove stems and seeds from chiles and chop very finely.
- Grind chiles in molcajete and add oregano with salt to mixture. Simmer another 2 hours.
- Remove suet casing and skim off some fat.
Never cook frijoles with chiles and meat. Serve as a separate dish.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.