Tex-Mex Shrimp Stew
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Boil water in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in rice, and salt and pepper to taste. Immediately reduce heat to low. Cover
and simmer 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic
4-5 minutes or until they begin to turn golden.
- Stir in next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro and lime. Season with salt and pepper
- Increase heat to medium and simmer 4-5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and just
- Divide stew among individual serving bowls. Place 3/4 cup of cooked rice in center
of each bowl.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime.