- 12 ounces spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken, cut into cubes, or 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large red onion, sliced and julienned
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or beef broth*
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
* If using chicken, use chicken broth; if using ground beef, use beef broth.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook spaghetti according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add chicken or ground beef and cook 6 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions and peppers and cook until tender, 4 minutes more.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and oregano and stir until coated.
- Add tomatoes and stir, then add chicken or beef broth and half-and-half.
- Add cooked spaghetti to skillet and toss until coated, then add cheeses and stir until creamy.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 10 min | Yield: 4 servings