Acadian Peppered Shrimp
- 1 pound butter
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, finely ground
- 4 pounds large raw shrimp in shells (30-35 per pound)
- Melt the butter in a large deep-sided frying pan or iron skillet over low heat.
- When melted, raise the heat, and add the remaining ingredients except the shrimp.
- Cook, stirring often, until browned to a rich mahogany color, about 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, stirring and turning to coat well with the seasoned butter.
- Cook until the shrimp have turned a rich deep pink, about 10 minutes.
- Lay newspapers on the table.
- Serve the shrimp in their shells, peeling them at the table.
Yield: 4 servings