Bayou Dirty Rice Dressing
- 6 slices turkey bacon, diced
- 1 pound smoked turkey sausage, chopped (hot or chipotle seasoned preferred)
- 1/2 pound turkey livers, cleaned and cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup seeded and chopped green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 6 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 3 cups turkey broth or low-sodium broth
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Heat a large, heavy Dutch oven over medium-low heat and sauté bacon until
slightly crisp. Remove bacon from the pan and reserve.
- Sauté sausage in 2 batches, stirring occasionally, until browned, 2-3 minutes
per batch. Return all sausage to pan.
- Add liver, onion, celery, bell pepper and seasoning. Sauté for 5 to 10 minutes
or until lightly browned.
- Add garlic and sauté only until fragrant, a couple of minutes.
- Add rice, broth, and salt. Cook until liquid is nearly absorbed (about 15
- Return bacon to pan and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle green onions atop rice and serve immediately.
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe credit: National Turkey Federation