Cajun Catfish with Spicy Strawberry Sauce
- 2 pounds catfish fillets
- Black pepper
- 2 ounces hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/2 cups strawberry preserves
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar*
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup seafood cocktail sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Fresh strawberries (optional)
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
* Strawberry-flavored vinegar may be used instead of red wine vinegar.
- Place fillets in large shallow dish. Season fish with salt, black pepper and hot pepper sauce; cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In small saucepan, combine preserves, vinegar, soy sauce, cocktail sauce, garlic and horseradish; simmer sauce over low heat stirring occasionally, while preparing catfish.
- Blend cornmeal and flour in shallow bowl. Drain catfish and dredge in cornmeal mixture, coating on all sides.
- Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat; when hot, add catfish and sauté until browned on both sides.
- Drain well on paper towels; keep warm.
- Spoon 1/4 cup sauce on each plate; top with catfish fillets.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries and parsley, if desired.