Cajun Chicken a la King
- 6 to 8 chicken breasts
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 8 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup flour
- 3 to 4 cups milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sweet peas, frozen or canned
- Buttermilk biscuits
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in water.
- Add chopped onion, celery, and chicken breast. Boil until tender.
- Remove chicken and chop into bite-size pieces. Reserve broth.
- In separate pot, melt butter.
- Add flour, and cook mixture for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly add 4 cups of the cooked chicken broth. Add slowly and stir continuously
to avoid lumping.
- Add milk until mixture resembles a thick soup. (You can thin by adding more
liquid, either broth or milk, or thicken by adding a paste of milk and flour.)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked chicken and peas. Heat thoroughly.
- Serve over homemade biscuits which have been sliced in half.