Cajun Fried Soft-Shell Crabs
Because the shell is completely soft and edible, the entire crab can be eaten, although you'll need to clean them properly first.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 6 soft-shelled crabs, cleaned
* For a corn-meal base: 1/3 cup each corn meal, corn flour and all-purpose flour
- Combine the egg and milk in a shallow bowl and beat well.
- Dip each crab into the egg mixture, making sure you soak it thoroughly and drain off the excess. Gently dredge the crabs in the seasoned flour mixture until they are thoroughly coated but not clumpy or caked.
- Gently slip the crabs into the oil, making sure you don’t create a splash and send searing hot oil all over the place. Fry each crab for 3 minutes on each side or until it’s crispy golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve on newspaper with an ice cold beverage of your choice. Serve with Remoulade Sauce, if desired.