Cajun Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole-style seasoning
- 1/4 cup spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Slice the bread in thick slices and place on the rack in the oven.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Check bread periodically throughout
following steps and remove from oven when golden.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion in butter, stirring,
until golden, 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour, pepper, garlic powder and Creole seasoning over onion and
continue to cook until flour is golden brown as well.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and soy sauce, cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in beef broth and simmer 10 minutes, or until onions reach desired
- Place slices of bread in ovenproof bowls and top with Swiss cheese.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with Parmesan.
- Place in oven until Parmesan melts.
- Serve at once.