Cajun Shrimp au Gratin
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 1 stalk celery, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- Cajun seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Dried parsley for garnish
- If you are using very large shrimp, halve them.
- Sauté onion and celery in butter until wilted.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour, egg yolks, evaporated milk and Cajun seasoning slowly.
- Return to heat and stir continuously until thickened into almost a ball and the butter starts oozing.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the shrimp.
- Put mixture into small baking dishes.
- Combine the butter and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the middle of the mixture in the baking dishes.
- Generously sprinkle with shredded cheddar and top with dried parsley.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes until cheese browns and is bubbly.