Creole Shrimp & Rigatoni with
Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Sausage
- 12 ounces Al Fresco Spicy Jalapeno Chicken Sausage, sliced on the diagonal into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 12 ounces dry rigatoni pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh white onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, fresh, seeded and chopped
- 2 fresh cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon light, unsalted butter
- 1 pound raw medium shrimp, 31-40 per pound, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley, preferably Italian parsley
- 1/2 medium fresh lemon, zested with grater
- Toss the shrimp in a medium bowl with 3/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning and set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water. Drain the pasta, return to the pot and keep warm.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet medium-high heat add the onion and poblano pepper. Cook the vegetables until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the garlic and chicken sausage, and cook one additional minute.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, hot sauce and butter. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the shrimp. Cover and let sit for 3 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Stir in the reserved pasta water, chopped parsley and lemon zest.
- Pour the sauce in the pot with the pasta.
- Toss the pasta to coat.
- Serve immediately with grated parmesan cheese.
Servings: 8 | Prep: 10 min | Cook: 15 min
Nutritional Info per Serving: Calories 320 Sodium 790mg Total Fat 7g Carbohydrates 40g Saturated Fat 2g Sugars 6g Cholesterol 105mg Dietary Fiber 3g Protein 22g
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Al Fresco All Natural.