Creole-Style Pork and Red Bean Chili
On a spiciness scale of 1 (mild) to 5 (hot), this chili is a 3 with chaurice only or a 2 with pork tenderloin and chaurice combined.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds chaurice sausage (or other spicy pork sausage, like chorizo), removed from casing*
- 2 cups finely diced yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 3 cups cooked Camellia Brand Red Kidney Beans
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Chef Paul Prudhomme's Pork & Veal Magic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups thinly sliced green onion tops
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
* For a milder flavor, use 1 pound chaurice and 1 pound pork tenderloin,
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven set at medium-high. Add the chaurice sausage, and, using a wooden spoon, break up the sausage into bite-size chunks. Stir and cook until the sausage is fully opaque, about 8 minutes.
(If also using pork tenderloin, do not add yet.)
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add celery and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add Camellia Brand Red Kidney Beans, dried thyme, tomatoes, garlic, and Pork & Veal Magic®. (If using diced pork tenderloin, add it at this time.) Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until slightly
thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste and stir until thoroughly combined, taking care not to break up the beans. Bring chili to a boil, stir in green onions and add Kosher salt to taste. Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
- Garnish individual bowls of chili with fresh thyme leaves.
Prep: 15 min | Cook: 55 min | Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: