- 1 medium cushaw melon
- 2 cups granulated sugar (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- Cut cushaw into quarters and clean out the seeds. After cleaning, cut the unpeeled
cushaw into smaller pieces, and then boil until tender not mushy. (You will probably have enough for two 9-inch pies.)
- Allow to cool before removing the flesh from the skin and then mash.
- Then add the remaining ingredients and mix until of a smooth consistency.
(Ingredients may vary depending on the size of the cushaw.)
- Pour the mixture into a pie crust and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes
depending on pie size or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pie cool completely before serving.