Louisiana Chicken and Shrimp Chili
Louisiana Chicken and Shrimp Chili is even better the next day.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pound peeled and cooked shrimp
- 1 large roasted red pepper
- 1 pound bacon
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (more if needed)
- 2 1/2 quarts (10 cups) chicken broth
- 2 red onions, diced
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 cans diced green chiles
- Chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to taste
- Grill chicken breasts and dice into cubes. If shrimp are very large, dice them also.
- Drain liquid off pepper and dice.
- Dice bacon and fry it until very crisp in a large soup pot; do not burn it.
- Add the diced onions and cook until transparent. Take the bacon and onions from the pot with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Make a roux by mixing the olive oil and bacon fat and adding flour a little at a time, whisking until the mixture is like wet sand.
- Whisk chicken broth into flour mixture and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer one half hour, stirring often.
- Season to taste.
Yield: 8 generous servings