Smothered Cajun Potatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- Heat oil in skillet over high heat. Add potatoes, onions, salt, peppers and garlic,
stirring well. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring and scraping pan bottom well each time and only when mixture is
browning and starting to stick excessively.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture is mottled brown throughout, about
20 minutes, stirring and scraping only occasionally.
- Add 1/4 cup stock and scrape pan bottom well; cook for 5 minutes, stirring once or
- Add 1/4 cup more stock and cook for 5 minutes, stirring and breaking up half
- Add remaining 1/4 cup stock and green onions, stirring well. Cook 5 minutes more
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 to 5 servings