Black or White Bean Cakes
- 1 1/4 cups dried pea beans or black beans
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup milk or water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 to 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- Soak beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain and rinse beans, then place in a large saucepan with fresh water to cover.
Cook over medium heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain and reserve.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal with milk, eggs and salt. Fold in beans and scallions.
Form mixture into 2- to 3-inch patties.
- Heat drippings on a griddle or in a large
skillet. Fry cakes for 1 to 2 minutes per side over medium heat, until golden brown.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Makes 10 to 12 cakes.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.