Maple Popcorn Balls
This is an old Algonquian treat — the original Cracker Jack.
- 1/4 cup popping corn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- Pop corn according to package directions. Season with salt, if desired.
- Heat syrup and butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly
until temperature reaches 250 degrees F on a candy thermometer or until a few drops form soft balls when dropped in cold
- Remove pan from heat and pour mixture over popcorn. When mixture is cool enough,
toss popcorn with syrup and mold into balls, and cool on a buttered baking sheet.
- Store cooled popcorn balls in an airtight container.
Yield: about 8