Chicken and Slicks
Slicks are rolled-out flat dumplings, not the round kind.
- 1 cut-up chicken
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 pinch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup Crisco
- 1/2 cup milk
- Seasoned chicken, turkey or beef broth
- All-purpose flour
- Chicken: Cover chicken with water, and let simmer until tender. Remove bones and return
meat to water.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in Crisco; add milk, mixing well.
Knead lightly, then roll to a 1/8-inch thickness, cut into squares.
- Drop squares
into pan. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Slicker Dumplings: Put seasoned broth into a mixing bowl.
- Add flour a little
at a time, mixing after each addition. Keep adding flour until you can handle mixture.
- Roll out to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into squares.
- Drop into boiling broth. Cook
until tender, about 10-15 minutes.