Southern Fresh Banana Layer Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
Frosting and Filling
- 1/2 cup mashed bananas
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, sliced thin
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans.
- Cake: Sift together flour and baking soda, and set aside.
- Put butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream together until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla extract and pecans.
- Divide batter among prepared pans and
bake for 25 minutes, or until the tops all brown and the edges pull away from the
pans, or a wooden pick inserted in the middle of a cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then turn out onto racks to
- Frosting and Filling: In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas and lemon juice together
and set aside.
- In another bowl, with an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add mashed bananas, blending well. Stir in vanilla extract.
- To assemble, spread a layer of icing on one of the cake rounds, then top with
a layer of sliced bananas.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the bananas and
repeat with more icing, then bananas.
- After placing the third layer on top, smooth
the icing over the sides and top of the cake with the remaining frosting.