Irish Sherry Trifle
- 1 (8-inch) sponge cake or 10 ladyfingers
- 3 ounces raspberry gelatin
- 1 cup sherry
- 1 can fruit salad, drained
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- Cherries or strawberries
- Blanched almonds
- 1 1/2 envelopes Birds custard
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 cups milk
- Place sponge cake in glass serving dish. Arrange fruit salad
- Add 1 cup of boiling water to dissolve gelatin and then add
1 1/2 cups cold water. Pour this liquid over mixture.
- Combine custard powder and sugar in small bowl; mix with little
milk. Put remainder of milk in saucepan and bring to a boil. Add gradually the pudding mixture to milk and
bring to a full boil, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over sponge cake and fruit; chill.
- Shortly before serving, pile whipped cream on pudding. Arrange
cherries (or strawberries) and blanched almonds on top of whipped cream.