Lemon-Irish Whiskey Cake
This recipe should be started the day before baking.
- Zest of 1 lemon, cut into julienne
- 1/4 cup Irish whiskey
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar (regular sugar can be processed in a blender or food processor)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- Place julienned lemon zest in a small bowl. Add whiskey and
let soak overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Whisk in the eggs.
- Sift the flour and add to the butter mixture along with the
salt. Stir to blend. Fold in the ground almonds.
- Strain the whiskey, discarding the zest, and stir the whiskey into the
- Pour into the prepared pan, and bake about one hour,
until golden brown, and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Yield: 10 servings
Source: Irish Heritage Cookbook - Margaret M. Johnson