Sticky Toffee Pudding
- 8 ounces dates, finely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups packed)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups self-rising flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Confectioners' sugar
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Caramel sauce
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch diameter springform
pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; butter parchment.
- Place the chopped dates in a small bowl; pour 1 cup boiling
water over dates and let cool, about 1 hour.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in large bowl to
blend; add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add half of flour and beat to blend. Add
remaining 2 eggs, 1 at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Add remaining flour and beat until
- Combine instant coffee and baking soda in small bowl. Pour into
date mixture, stirring to dissolve coffee granules. Add date mixture to batter and beat to blend. Pour batter
into prepared pan.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet and bake until tester inserted
into center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Cool pudding until just warm; unmold; sprinkle with confectioners'
- Cut into wedges and serve with whipped cream (or a scoop
of vanilla ice cream per serving) and caramel sauce.
Yield: 12 servings
Source: Beginish Restaurant, Dingle, Ireland