Mesquite Pork "Row" Salad
Row salads make a lovely presentation for a buffet table or for easy alfresco dining with guests. Instead of pork and asparagus, try using boneless chicken breast and thin green beans. Versatile canola oil does double-duty, on the grill and in the vinaigrette.
- 4 (4 ounce/120g) lean boneless pork chops
- 6 ounces asparagus spears, ends trimmed 170 g
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika 10 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin 2 mL
- 1 (4.5 ounce/128g) package shredded green leaf lettuce or 5 cups (1.25L) shredded romaine)
- 2 ounces shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese 60 g
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar 60 mL
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 2 tablespoons honey 30 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon dried pepper flakes 1 mL
- 1/4 cup diced red onion 1 mL
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Brush both sides of the pork and asparagus with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) canola oil. Sprinkle both sides of pork with paprika and cumin. Grill pork for 4 minutes, turn; add asparagus to the grill and cook for 4 minutes or until
internal temperature of pork reaches 145 degrees F (63 degrees C). Remove from heat and set aside to cool before cutting pork into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) cubes.
- Arrange lettuce on bottom of a platter, top with “rows” of pork, asparagus spears and cheese.
- Whisk together vinegar, 2 tablespoons (30 mL) canola oil, honey, salt and pepper flakes in a small bowl. Drizzle evenly over all and sprinkle with onions.
Yield: 4 servings; each serving 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) salad and 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dressing
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: Calories 350 Total Fat 17 g Saturated Fat 3.5 g Cholesterol 75 mg Carbohydrates 16 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 12 g Protein 32 g Sodium 530 mg Potassium 640 mg
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.