Chicago-Style Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 1 (5 to 7 pound) rump roast
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 beef flavor bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, more or less, depending upon taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 or more loaves Italian or Vienna bread, French or any hard, crusty bread, sliced down the center, lengthwise, but not all the way through to the other side, then cut into serving size pieces
- Place roast on a rack, in an open 13 x 9-inch roasting pan with the rack in it.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Bake, allowing 25 minutes per pound. Roast will be rare.
- Cool, and slice very thin.
- To the drippings in the pan, add the boiling water, bouillon cubes or granules,
(1 bouillon cube for each cup of boiling water used).
- Add marjoram, thyme, oregano,
hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, garlic cloves, and chopped
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the thinly sliced beef and cover.
- Marinate in gravy in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, heat thoroughly, and serve warm on the French bread, along with
a crisp, green salad.
Makes 8 to 10 sandwiches.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.