Fried Green Tomato Sandwiches
Here's a recipe I found that I wanted to try when my green tomatoes get big
enough, since I love BLT's and fried green tomatoes. (I think it was form Good
Housekeeping, but that was before I joined this great site, and forgot to copy the
source.) You can probably also try BLT's with Shellbob's recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced bacon
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 pound green tomatoes (3 medium), cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise dressing
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 4 green-leaf lettuce leaves
- 8 slices firm whole-grain or white bread, toasted
- Cook bacon. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in pie pan, beat egg white and salt. In another pie pan, combine cornmeal
and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip tomato slices in egg-whites to coat both sides, then
dip in cornmeal to coat both sides well. Place on wax paper.
- In bacon drippings in skillet, cook tomato, a few at a time, over medium-high
heat until golden brown and heated through, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, chives, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread
on toast. Arrange lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon between toast slices.
Posted by bizimouse at Recipe Goldmine 6/20/01 12:48:27 pm.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.