Welsh rarebit or Welsh rabbit is an open face sandwich made of melted cheese and other ingredients.. It is poured over slices of toasted bread and served hot. No, there is no "rabbit" in this dish.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Dash of cayenne
- 3 cup milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- Combine flour, salt, dry mustard and cayenne.
- Add 1 cup milk gradually to form a paste.
- Mix in remainder of milk and Worcestershire sauce.
- Melt butter in a double boiler. Add milk mixture. Cook and stir over hot water until thickened.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Lay tomatoes slices on top of toast. Spoon rarebit over toast and tomato slices.
Beer Rarebit: Omit milk, and use ale or beer instead.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.