Homemade Twix Bars
- 35 unwrapped Kraft caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 box Nabisco Lorna Doone shortbread cookies (40)
- 2 (12 ounce) bags milk chocolate chips
- Combine the caramels with the water in a small pan and melt over low heat. Place
the shortbread cookies side by side on an ungreased cookie sheet. Spoon a dab of
caramel onto each cookie. Then place all the cookies in the refrigerator until the
caramel firms up.
- In the meantime, in a double boiler over low heat, melt the chocolate chips.
You may also use the microwave for melting the chocolate. Just zap the chips for
1 minute on high, stir, then zap 'em for another minute. Remove the cookies from
the refrigerator. Rest each one on a fork and dip it into the chocolate. Tap the
fork on the side of the pan or bowl to knock off any excess chocolate. Then place
each one on a sheet of waxed paper and let them cool at room temperature (65- 70
degrees F). This could take several hours, but the bars will set best this way.
If you want to speed up the process, put the candy in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Makes 40 bars.
M&M/Mars Peanut Butter Twix Bars: Substitute 1 cup of peanut butter
sweetened with 1/2 cup powdered sugar for the caramels. The peanut-butter mixture
will be of a consistency that allows you to spread it.
Posted by Sonda at Recipe Goldmine 2004/2/13 06:27.