Beef Stew with Parsley Dumplings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small bay leaf
- Pinch of allspice
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 3 large potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, halved
- 6 small onions
- 3 stalks celery, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packaged biscuit mix
- Beef Stew: Combine flour, salt and pepper. Dredge meat in flour mixture and brown
in oil in large Dutch oven.
- Stir in next seven ingredients and cover. Reduce heat
and simmer 2 hours.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Cover and cook over
low heat 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Parsley Dumplings: Combine milk, egg and parsley; stir well. Add milk mixture
to biscuit mix. Stir just until ingredients are moistened. Drop dumplings by tablespoons
on top of vegetables. Cook uncovered over low heat 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook additional 10 minutes.