Bistro Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef Bottom Round Roast or Shoulder Roast Boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (14 to 14 1/2 ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 12 ounces assorted small whole mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake and button)
- 2 cups packaged baby carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Combine flour and pepper. Lightly coat beef with flour mixture; reserve any remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot.
- Repeat with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot; season with salt.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot. Add onions, garlic and thyme; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add wine; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved.
- Stir in broth and reserved flour mixture.
- Return beef and juices to stockpot. Stir in mushrooms; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
- Add carrots to stockpot; continue simmering, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and carrots are fork-tender.
- Stir in peas; simmer for 5 minutes.
Total: 2 to 2 1/4 hours | Yield: 6 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Cattlemens Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association