Cream Cheese Banana-Nut Bread
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (1 1/4 pound sunpeeled, about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8 x 4-inch regular or silicone
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric
mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture,
beating at low speed just until blended.
- Stir in bananas, pecans and vanilla extract.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a long wooden pick inserted in the center comes out
clean and sides pull away from the pan, shielding with aluminum foil for the last
15 minutes to prevent browning, if necessary.
- Cool bread in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool 30 minutes on wire racks before slicing.
Yield: 2 loaves
PER SERVING (1 slice): calories: 258 (45% from fat); protein: 3 grams; total
fat: 13 grams; saturated fat: 6 grams; cholesterol: 44 mg; sodium: 173 mg; carbohydrate:
33 grams; dietary fiber: 1 gram
Source: Southern Living, January 2005