(Braised Pork Shoulder)
1 pork shoulder, about 5 pounds
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 large yellow or Spanish onion
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup adobo, chile paste reserved from canned chipotles
1-2 cups water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim pork shoulder of excessive fat and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Cut carrot, celery and onion into a small dice and cut oranges and limes into
- Heat a large rondo, or braising pan, on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Pour in oil and sauté diced vegetables.
- After 3-4 minutes add cubed pork shoulder. Cook for 5-7 minutes until pork begins
- Season the mixture: Add salt, pepper, paprika and cumin.
- Next, add orange and lime halves.
- Add vinegars and adobo paste, followed by 1 to 2 cups water, or enough to almost
cover cubed pork.
- Bake the pork: Cover with lid or foil and place in oven. Bake for about 2 hours
or until pork is fork tender.
- Remove from oven and serve with tortillas, guacamole, salsa verde and chipotle
Yield: 10-12 servings
Traditional garnishes include grated sharp dry cheeses, radishes, sour cream,
shredded cabbage and limes.
>> Southwestern Beef and Pork Recipes
>> Mexican Beef and Pork Recipes