Cinco de Mango Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 dried ancho or pasilla chile pepper, stemmed and seeded
- Salt to taste
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 6 ounces thinly sliced jack cheese
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 large peeled, pitted and chopped mango
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Quesadillas: Cook chicken on a lightly oiled grill over medium heat for about
5 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and cooked through.
Let cool slightly and cut into bite-size strips. (You may substitute
leftover grilled chicken.)
- Puree the tomato sauce and dried pepper in a blender or food processor.
Transfer to a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for 15
minutes. Add grilled chicken to pan and toss well to coat; season
to taste with salt.
- Place flour tortillas on a flat surface. Top half of each tortilla
with equal amounts of cheese, mango, bell pepper, green onion and
chicken; fold over tortilla.
- Cook in a large skillet on both sides
until cheese is melted and tortilla is crisp, about 5 minutes on
- Serve with mango salsa.
- Mango Salsa: In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients.
Makes 4 entree servings or 8 appetizer servings.
Nutrition information per entree serving: 560 cal., 30 g pro.,
64 g carbo., 19 g total fat (10 g saturated), 78 mg chol., 1,380
mg sodium, 6 g fiber
Recipe credit: National Mango Board