Carnitas Sandwiches with Avocado Salsa
- 4 pounds boned pork shoulder, cut into large cubes (remove
as much fat as possible)
- 1 quart (4 cups) beef broth
- 1 (16 ounce) jar chunky
- 3 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, diced
- 2 cups fresh
pico de gallo salsa (recipe follows)
- 8 sandwich rolls or buns, split lengthwise
- Sour cream, for garnish
- In large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine pork chunks, broth
and salsa. Add enough water to completely cover meat. Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low and simmer (covered) for 3 to 4 hours or until meat pulls
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove meat from liquid in pot (discard liquid) and place in a roasting
pan. Break meat into small chunks. Roast meat for 15 to 20 minutes until brown
and crispy (carnitas).
- While meat is roasting, combine avocado dice with prepared pico de gallo
- To serve, spoon carnitas into sandwich rolls and top with avocado salsa
and sour cream. (Meat can be prepared in advance and transported to a picnic
Yield: 8 servings
>> Southwestern Sandwich Recipes