Baja Fish Tacos with Onion Mango Salsa
The quality of fish product will make a significant difference in the outcome of this recipe.
- 1 small (6 to 7 ounce) red onion
- 4 frozen breaded white fish fillets or 8 breaded fish sticks
- 1 cup chopped mango
- 1/2 cup slivered red or green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon mashed chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 4 large crisp taco shells, stand-and-stuff style, if available
- Peel and trim onion; cut in half from top to bottom. Place each half flat side down on the cutting surface. Make narrow vertical cuts from top to bottom of the onion to make narrow wedges.
- Place onion wedges on a baking sheet along with frozen fish fillets and bake at 425 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or as directed on fish packaging.
- Meanwhile, combine mango, bell pepper, cilantro, and lime juice. In another bowl, mix sour cream with chipotle chiles.
- When fish is done, place one fillet in each taco shell.
- Mix roasted onion into mango combination and spoon about 1/2 cup over each taco.
- Top with chipotle cream.
- Serve with salad, rice and/or black beans, if desired.
Yield: 2 or 4 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from: National Onion Association