Sweet Tamales with Cinnamon Fudge Sauce
Sweet Tamales are filled with citron, raisins and chopped almonds, then served
with Cinnamon Fudge Sauce.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups instant Masa Harina
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup citron or candied lemon peel, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins,
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 10 corn husks, soaked according to package
Cinnamon Fudge Sauce
- 1 cup bottled fudge topping
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Tamales: In a mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar until smooth and creamy;
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine instant masa, salt and water. Stir until
blended, then add to the shortening mixture and beat together until a small
piece will float on the surface of a cupful of water. Then beat in baking powder
and set aside.
- Finely combine citron, raisins, and almonds; set aside.
- Lay out corn husks and divide masa dough evenly among them, placing dough
in center of the husks; divide fruit/nut mixture in a similar fashion. Fold
the husks and tie around the center with string to hold the ends in place.
- Stand the resulting ''packets'' on end on a steaming rack
or in a bamboo steamer over water. Bring water to boil, cover and steam for
1 hour, or until the dough pulls away from the husk when tested.
- Serve warm or cold, with Cinnamon Fudge Sauce, if desired.
- Cinnamon Fudge Sauce: Combine fudge topping, vanilla and cinnamon in the
top of a double boiler over simmering water. Cook long enough for flavors to
blend, do not let it come to a boil. Serve hot over Sweet Tamales.
Yield: 10 servings
>> Southwestern Tamale Recipes
>> Mexican Tamale Recipes