Heart-shaped scones with a touch of baked-in berry preserves. It's a great recipe for kids helping in the kitchen.
You and your little helper can measure the ingredients the night before, so all you do is make and bake on serving day.
No almond extract on hand? Just use vanilla extract instead.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 teaspoons strawberry or raspberry preserves
- Powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet.
- Beat egg slightly in medium bowl. Stir in milk, applesauce, butter and almond extract.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except preserves and powdered sugar just until moistened.
- Drop dough by 1/4 cupsful about 3 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Pat into heart shapes about 3 inches wide and 1/2 inch high, using fingers dusted with flour. Make shallow well in center of each heart, using back of spoon dipped into flour. Place 1/2 teaspoon of the preserves in each well.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar while warm.
- Serve warm.
Prep: 20 min | Bake: 15 min | Servings: 9
Nutrition Information: Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 215 ( Calories from Fat 55) Total Fat 6 g (Saturated Fat 2 g), Cholesterol 30 mg Sodium 320 mg Total Carbohydrate 36 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g ) Protein 5 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A2%; Vitamin C0%; Calcium12%; Iron10%
Exchanges:2 Starch; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: