Chorba (North Africa)
This will serve 4 as a side dish or you can double it as a main dish soup.
If meat is desired, chunks of beef or lamb can be added by frying
that with the onions at the beginning of the recipe.
- 1 large onion, chopped medium
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fry the onions until tender in the olive oil.
- Add the paprika and heat in the oil also.
- About 1 cup water to prevent onions and paprika from burning.
- Add carrots, garlic, tomato paste and the parsley and more water to cover.
- When the carrots begin to get slightly tender, add the potatoes and water (if necessary) to cover. Simmer for about 1/2 hour.
- Add garbanzo beans and lemon juice. Adjust the amount of broth by adding more water if necessary. Adjust flavor by adding pepper and salt if necessary.