Baked Kidney Beans and Rice
(Riz et Pois Rouges)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 4 ounces fully cooked smoked ham, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- Cook and stir onion, garlic and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Mix onion mixture and remaining ingredients in ungreased 2-quart casserole. Cover
and bake at 350 degrees F until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 55 minutes.
- Stir before serving.