Rice with Chayote
(Fritanga — Antigua)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium chayote, pared and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- Minced chives
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet until hot. Cook and stir chayote over medium
heat until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes; remove with slotted spoon.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until onion is tender, about
- Stir in rice; cook and stir until hot, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in chayote, tomato, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until tomato is hot,
3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings