- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons lard (it must be lard)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Combine molasses, brown sugar, lard, butter and honey in a pot, heat until everything
is melted together, but DO NOT SCORCH. If you do, the gingerbread won't hold together.
- Add the 2 1/2 coups flour and spices to the mixture. Let the mixture cool a bit.
- Add eggs, then let the mixture cool completely.
- Add the 2 1/4 cups flour (a little bit more if the dough is sticky when kneading), baking soda and baking powder. Knead
until smooth and not sticky.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out quite thin and press gingerbread shapes.
- Bake until just golden and lightly brown underneath, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Let cool, then remove from pan.