German Bread Dumplings (Semmelknodel)
- 1/2 pound stale white bread
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Break bread into small pieces; place in a medium bowl and pour milk over.
- Sauté onion in oil until brown.
- Combine bread, onion and remaining ingredients; blend well. Mixture should be
stiff - add more milk or bread to adjust consistency. Working with floured hands,
form mixture into a roll about 2 1/2 inches wide. Cut roll into 8 pieces and form
each into a dumpling.
- Boil dumplings in water, being careful not to overcrowd the pot. Do not cover
- Simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes; dumplings are done when they float.