Himmel und Erde (Heaven and Earth)
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tart apples, sliced softened
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, softened
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling.
- Add potatoes, apples and sugar. Heat to
boiling; reduce heat. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes;
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain.
- Cook and stir onion in bacon fat until tender.
- Place potatoes and apples in serving bowl.
- Dot with butter; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Top with onion and bacon.