Spaetzle ("Sparrow" Dumplings)
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil while making the noodle dough.
- Beat eggs with milk.
- Mix flour with salt and nutmeg.
- Beat egg-milk into the flour to
make a very wet dough. Spoon a large blob of dough onto a small plate. Hold the
plate with one hand over the pot of simmering water. Scrape off pieces of the dough
by pressing the tip of a table knife against the rim of the plate so that the dough
drops into the water. Work as quickly as possible.
- When the dumplings rise to the surface, skim them with a slotted spoon into a
warm bowl of melted butter.
- Toss the spaetzle lightly with a fork in the butter
before serving. Or, as an alternative, put the butter in a frying pan and add 4
tablespoons dry breadcrumbs. Cook until golden brown and crisp and toss with the
hot spaetzle. Alternatively, pour the melted butter over the spaetzle and toss with