Beef Steak and Kidney Pie
- 3/4 pound calf kidney or beef liver
- Salted water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced and sautéed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- Filling: Clean and split kidney; remove fat and large tubes. Soak in salted water
- Dry and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Mix flour, salt and pepper; roll kidney
and beef pieces in flour mixture.
- Melt butter in heavy pot and sauté shallots. When shallots have taken on a little color, add beef
and kidney; brown lightly, turning.
- Add bouillon, bay leaf, parsley, cloves and marjoram. Stir; cover and simmer 1 to
1 1/4 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce. If liquid is too thin, thicken with smooth
paste of flour and cold water.
- Grease a deep 10-inch baking dish. Place pie funnel in center. Add meat mixture
and allow to cool in refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, prepare Pastry Topping. Place pastry over meat, sealing pastry edges to edge
of dish. Make vents in pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes; lower heat to 375 degrees F and continue
baking 15 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Pastry Topping: Cut shortening into flour and salt until particles are size of
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with fork until all
flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans sides of bowl, adding 1 to 2 teaspoons water if necessary.
- Gather pastry into a ball; shape into flattened round on lightly
floured cloth-covered board. Roll out to fit top of casserole.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.