- 1/2 cup medium oatmeal
- 2 heaping tablespoons butter
- 1 scant teaspoon baking powder
- 1 beaten egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons black treacle (molasses)
- 1 cup buttermilk, divided
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix oatmeal and flour thoroughly in large bowl.
- Rub in butter.
- Add the sugar, salt, ginger and baking powder; mix well.
- Melt treacle until warm. Stir in beaten egg and half the buttermilk. Stir mixture
into flour, adding buttermilk gradually. Stop when mixture is soft enough to drop from a spoon.
- Amply grease a tin about 8 x 4 inches. Add mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 1/4 hours or until well risen. Test to ensure
it is cooked in center by inserting a thin skewer.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing from tin.
- Cool on a rack; leave overnight if possible to let it set.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.