- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in medium-size bowl.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; beat until smooth.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until double, 40 to 60 minutes.
- Grease griddle or heavy skillet and insides of 4 to 6 (3-inch) flan rings or
crumpet rings.* Place rings on griddle over medium heat until hot.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons batter into each ring. Cook until tops form
bubbles and bottoms are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove rings; turn crumpets to brown other side, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter, greasing insides of rings each time.
- Serve with butter and jam or marmalade.
* 6 1/2-ounce tuna, minced clam or shrimp cans, tops and bottoms removed, can
be substituted for the flan rings.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.