Easy Chicken Biryani
A quick and easy version of this traditional East Indian dish! Canola oil's neutral taste allows the spices to shine through.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil 30 mL
- 1 cup finely chopped onion 250 mL
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger 30 mL
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin 7 mL
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander 7 mL
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric 4 mL
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 2 mL
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2/3 cups basmati rice, well rinsed 400 mL
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into strips 500 g
- 1/3 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt 75 mL
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth 750 mL
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- In saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat and sauté onion, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon for 2 minutes to bring out flavors.
- Stirring constantly, add rice, chicken, yogurt, tomato and broth; cover and simmer over medium heat 15 minutes or until rice is tender, chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from stove and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Yield: 8 servings, 3/4 cup (175 mL) each
Nutritional Information per Serving: Calories 280 Total Fat 8 g Saturated Fat 1.5 g Cholesterol 50 mg Carbohydrates 31 g Fiber 3 g Protein 22 g Sodium 75 mg
Recipe by Julie DesGroseilliers.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.