Cato's Cheese Bread
An old recipe for Roman bread.
- 1 cup feta cheese, drained, crumbled, and packed into the measuring cup
- 1/2 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Put the cheese into a medium size mixing bowl. Mash well with the fingers until
it becomes a smooth, lumpless paste.
- Add the flour and mix well with the fingers.
- Add the beaten egg and mix well. The dough will be rather sticky.
- Divide the dough into two equal parts, then form two round, flat, 1/2 inch thick
loaves. Lay each on three bay leaves set on a greased baking sheet, and bake in
a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until cooked through.
- Remove the loaves from the oven, spread the tops with the honey, and let cool.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.