Italian Sweet Bread with Raisins
(Schiacciata con Zibibbo)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 cup Muscat raisins
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in raisins, sugar, oil, orange
peel, egg and enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough onto generously floured
surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in warm place until
double, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into round, slightly flat loaf, about 9 inches in diameter.
- Place on greased cookie sheet. Cover; let rise 45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush loaf with milk; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until bread is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire rack.