- 4 to 6 unsalted matzoh boards or sheets
- 1 cup unsalted butter or unsalted Passover margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet completely with foil. Cover bottom
of pan with baking parchment (on top of foil). This is very important as mixture
becomes sticky during baking.
- Line bottom of pan evenly with matzoh boards, cutting
extra pieces of matzoh, as needed, to fit any spaces on the cookie sheet as evenly
- Combine butter or margarine and brown sugar in a 3-quart, heavy-bottom, saucepan.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Continue
cooking 3 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour over matzoh.
- Place in oven and immediately reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for 15 minutes,
checking every few minutes to make sure mixture is not burning. If it seems to be
browning too quickly, remove from oven, lower heat to 325 degrees F and return to
- Remove from oven and sprinkle matzoh boards immediately with chopped chocolate
- Let stand for 5 minutes then spread melted chocolate over matzoh.
- While still warm, cut into squares or odd shapes.
- Chill in refrigerator until set.